Tis the season for cranberries! These tart little berries are so incredibly flavorful and add just the right amount of tart (when done properly) to baked goods. My Holiday Crancakes (Cranberry Pancakes) combine the sweet flavors of vanilla and warm cinnamon with just the right amount of tart from the cranberries, combined with the added zest of the orange and you have one of the most delicious seasonal pancakes you will ever sink your teeth into! These are super easy to make so if you wanted to make them on Christmas morning for your family, it shouldn’t take much time at all! What’s more, they are packed with protein, only 6 grams of fat and an awesome 6.5 grams of fiber! Merry Christmas! Typically when I write my recipes, I will just list a generic whey, casein, or blended protein in the ingredients. However, every once in a while I come across a protein that I just can’t help but mention and Jamie Eason’s signature protein line has led me to do just that! Enjoy!
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work…and yes it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
HOLIDAY CRANCAKES (Cranberry-Orange Pancakes)
1 1/3 cup oat flour
4 scoops Jamie Eason vanilla Whey Protein Shake, or vanilla whey of choice
2 TB ground cinnamon
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 cups egg whites
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup frozen organic whole cranberry sauce, thawed (plus extra for garnish)
1 TB orange extract
How to Prepare
• In a mixing bowl combine oat flour, whey protein, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. Mix until well blended.
• In a separate large mixing bowl combine egg whites, almond milk, and orange extract. Beat until well blended.
• Slowly add the dry mix to the wet mix, constantly stirring, until the batter is smooth.
• Gently fold in the cranberries with a spatula.
• Spray a skillet with non-stick cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Pour the batter one at a time to form approximately 4” round pancakes (the amount you cook at once will be dependent upon the size of your skillet). Cook for about 1 minute, or until the underside is golden brown. Flip and cook for an additional minute, or until the center is firm and the underside is golden brown. Repeat this process until all batter is used. Enjoy!
OPTION: top with additional cranberries, or simply as a garnish
Per serving (recipe serves 4): 415 calories, 47 grams protein, 42 grams carbohydrates (6.5 grams fiber), 6 grams fat
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.