The leaves are changing colors, there are pumpkins all around— fall is in the air! What does the fall season make you think of? For me, I envision the taste of warm apple cider, going apple and pumpkin picking, the sight of beautifully colored leaves, the feel of cool air on my skin, the smell of spices cooking in the kitchen… I absolutely love this time of year on the East Coast!
With that said, it was pretty simple to find the inspiration for this next recipe. Today I’m bringing you Harvest Apple Spice Pancakes! The hearty texture of these pancakes, combined with the sweet apple and swirled with spices of the season, make this a meal that will just melt your heart. It’s still healthy, you ask? Of course, I wouldn’t have it any other way! If you don’t already know, this is what I am all about.
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work… and, yes, it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
HARVEST APPLE SPICE PANCAKES
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ea: ground cloves, ginger, nutmeg
1/4 cup finely chopped apple
1/3 cup almond milk
1 whole egg
1/4 cup egg whites
1 TB plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 TB water
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
How to Prepare (wait until you see how incredibly simple this is!!)
1. Put ALL (yes, ALL) ingredients in a bowl and mix together until a smooth batter is formed. (Depending upon protein powder used, batter might be thick; if so, add additional water 1 TB at a time until batter is pourable). Set aside.
2. Coat skillet lightly with non-stick cooking spray and place on medium-high heat. Allow to heat up for approximately 30 seconds. (Depending how big your skillet is, you might need to repeat this process to cook all pancakes).
3. Pour batter slowly onto heated skillet to form approximate 3-inch round pancakes. Fit as many as you can at one time so you can eat sooner.
4. Let cook for approximately 2 minutes or until bubbles form on top of pancake and underside is nice and brown. Once this occurs, flip pancakes over and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes or until pancakes are firm and underside is also browned. Stack on a plate. (Repeat this process until all batter is used).
5. Grab a fork and dig in to your stack of pancakes! Are you in love?? Enjoy!
Per serving (serves 1): 356 calories, 30.5 grams protein, 42.7 grams carbohydrates, 7.1 grams fat
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.