Having a workout buddy can help further your success in achieving your fitness goals. A workout buddy can help you stay motivated, reliable and consistent, which in turn equals better success. You are less likely to skip out on the gym when you have someone counting on you. Having a buddy also adds variety to your workout because two people are bringing ideas. It is also great because you can socialize about your day.
How to choose your partner:
• Choose someone who has a similar or slightly higher fitness level
• Choose someone with similar goals
• Choose someone with whom you have similarities with outside of the gym
• Choose someone who is reliable and dedicated
NOTE: Choosing a buddy can be hard because of schedule conflict or athletic capabilities. If this happens, try to form an accountability program with someone online or over the phone. You can still help each other with workouts, food logs and attendance.
How to start for success
1. Look at your calendars and see what times work the best.
2. Set ground rules for sticking to the workouts and agree on a cancellation policy.
3. Write down your personal goals, then choose a reward that you REALLY want!
4. Decide how your programs will be generated. Don’t ever go to the gym without a plan. I suggest that your partner make up the routine one week and then you the next so that you have variety. You could also get a customized training program and do it together. I offer this online service to my clients so they have a roadmap that fits their personal needs.
Buddy Up Leg Workout
This program has superset and single exercises. It is done this way so you can save time but work out together. You should move fast while keeping good form to keep up your heart rate.
Superset: Alternate exercises (so switch back and forth with your partner). When creating your program, it is good to pick two exercises that you both can perform close together. That way, you can keep an eye on each other and switch faster.
4×15 Leg extensions
4×15 Leg curls
4×20 Dumbbell narrow squats
4×15 Cable or dumbbell pull-throughs
4 x15 Cable or smith machine squats
4×20 Pop squats
4×20 Outer thigh machine
4×20 Good mornings
4×20 Narrow leg presses
Stretch out your legs 🙂