Are you doing your best in the gym and with healthy eating, but aren’t seeing any improvements in your physique? Here are 10 common fitness mistakes that could prevent you from reaching your goals.
1. Skipping meals. This will slow your metabolism and result in fat gain. Eat your protein, fat and carb requirement in your diet—don’t try to eat less. It is necessary to eat enough to see results. Your muscles need fuel for recovery, and this fuel is FOOD.
2. Trying “magical” solutions. Consistency and discipline = results! Work hard, because there are no easy and fast answers! Be patient and believe in the process.
3. Not drinking enough water. Keeping your body hydrated will help you in many ways. Our body needs water to function, and when we exercise, we lose water, electrolytes etc. Remember that muscles are 75 percent water! A study from Germany found that protein synthesis occurs at a higher rate in muscle cells that are well hydrated, compared with dehydrated cells.
4. Obsessing. No one is perfect! So try to look your best and do your best, but also love yourself!
5. Eliminating all carbs. This is a BIG mistake, because carbs fuel athletic performance and keep your muscles looking round and full. Be careful when you select your carbs. Try to include fruits, vegetables and high fiber carbs in your meals. I like oats, sweet potatoes and rice. Avoid eating processed foods.
6. Overtraining and not getting enough rest. Your body progresses when it has rested appropriately and also had the time for recovery! Sometimes more is less. Sleep at least eight hours per night and don’t train seven days per week, because your body requires time to restore and build muscles.
7. Doing the same workout routine. Change the sets, the repetition, the machines, and/or the exercises to prevent the “plateau.” Pick up heavier weights— don’t be afraid to lift heavy, and you will notice changes!
8. Doing 1,000+ crunches. Abs are made in the kitchen! Balance and proper diet is the answer to having amazing abdominals. If your abs are covered by fat, you can do as many crunches as you want and you will never see your six-pack!
9. Doing too much cardio. Cardio helps your cardiovascular health, but don’t be obsessive about doing hours and hours of stationary cardio! Do intervals, train faster and change your cardio routines as well.
10. Avoiding weight training. Some girls are worried about the “bulky look” when weight training, but gaining muscle is not as easy as we think! You look bulky when your diet is not correct! Weight training increases your metabolism, and you will burn more calories after weight training.
Take care about your health and your metabolism by doing things correctly in your fitness and nutrition programs!